Back to top

Jones & Company Blog

Click here to go back

Organizing for Personal Taxes

Posted by Admin Posted on Jan 25 2016

By Traci A. Malik, CPA CFE MAcc


Gathering your documents for your personal taxes can be daunting for some. When clients come into meet with us or drop off their tax documents, we tend to get asked about how to save money on tax preparation and what are the documents that we need. Hopefully, this will help serve as a guide for you.

What we need:

  • Tax documents received; 1099s, 1098s, W-2s, K-1s, etc.
  • Charity receipts for amounts getting claimed.
  • A total for medical expenses categorized by doctors, prescriptions, insurance premiums.
  • The new health insurance tax document; 1095-A, 1095-B or 1095-C.
  • Rental income and expenses summarized and categorized.
  • Self employment income and expenses summarized and categorized.
  • If deducting mileage, we need the total miles driven and the business miles driven.
  • If you are a retired public safety officer, we need to know if you receive qualified health insurance from the pension.
  • If you sold stock during the year and the cost information isn't provided on the tax document, we need the information from you as to what you paid for it and when it was purchased.
  • If you have a lot of receipts for deductions, we only need a summary to the total.
  • Dependent care information.
  • Alimony amount paid or received.


What we don't need or may cost you more:

  • A bag or box full of receipts that we need to total.
  • Statements during the year that do not affect taxes.
  • Your homestead exemption notification.
  • Documents or correspondence that is provided a little bit at a time.


If you would like a tax organizer to help with the planning of the documents needed, please feel free to contact us for one. We look forward to helping you with your taxes!